Sunday, October 14, 2007

Home and attitude Improvement

So I came back from America last month and started feeling a little down in the dumps, a bit blue, a shtikel sad, you might say. The holidays were quickly approaching and I'd just left my family back in the states! Please do NOT misunderstand me- We are SO happy to live in Eretz Yisroel and feel so privileged to be able to do so (we live in YESHA for crying out loud!). Its just that the lack of grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. close by can can be a drag sometimes.
This would have been (eventually) fine and well except that the husband - being that great husband that he is- does NOT like to see me melancholy. Not even a little bit.

"Shir, WHAT can we do for you?" he asked.
"Let's move to Lakewood." I answered.

He winced.

"How 'bout a different idea."
"Passaic?" I offered.
"I meant a more local idea."
"Buy me a car?"
"A cheaper idea."
"Let me put shelves in my shed to the tune of 1600 NIS so that I can maximize what little space I have since REALLY I could use a house with a basement......"
"There isn't anything cheap that will make you happy? A book or something?"

pout.

"OK, shelves it is! But nothing else, promise?"
"Fine. Shelves in the shed.......and in the playroom. And then that's it."
"You said that $30,000 ago!"

Truth is, I let him off easy. I could also use shelves in the broom closet, the baby's room, etc. etc.

And so.........
the shelves in the shed are a work in progress but here are my play-room shelves:
I LOVE having places to put things! My mind feels less cluttered when my things have places. (My husband may take issue with that statement!) He often wonders why I buy the things in the first place. What can I say? I'm a woman. I need things. I need things and I need shelves,closets, and drawers for my things.

note: many of the toys are to high for the kids to reach. that was not a mistake. Remember last winter when I left an ailing husband alone with my boys?

Speaking of home improvement, this isn't new but I don't think I've shared my new"ish" area rug. its already old enough to need a good cleaning but that's the thing- its modular! I can pick up each square individually and hand-wash it. Now I just have to find the time to make it happen. Fun, no?


I can think of so many more things to add/change in my apartment but for now I'll just enjoy and take care of what I have. (Those shelves are helping alleviate my sadness........)
How long do you think this couch is going to last?

Family or no family, stuff storage or bursting balagan, we continue to have good times at the Svei's!


Until next time........

3 comments:

Miriam the Mommy said...

Passaic! WHATever!

So first of all, you live in YESH. Alas, the 'A' got given back, remember? No lettuce?

And your 'baby' has longer hair than my daughter. Now we really need to talk...

yitz98 said...

Shira, You are so funny. You don't need to rationalize any of this to me. I totally get it all. Enjoy your shelving units, and Kein Yirbu!

Rachel said...

My thoughts you ask? Screw the shelves and come to Lakewood... Passaic would be more convvenient to white plains. but i Lakewood would be more your speed!