Wednesday, October 08, 2008

My little Scholar

I took Yitzchok Zevi to the eye doctor a few weeks ago- not because he was having difficulty in school. Thank G-d, we're doing great on that front..................and on that note, we interrupt the regularly scheduled program for a brief nachas moment. Jason called the Rebbe the other day just to introduce himself and see how YZ was doing so far. Before he got a word in edgewise, the Rebbe said, "Ah- Svei? He's one of the best kids in the class." I know. I know what you're all thinking. I thought the same thing. But, I spoke with an education expert here in Israel who told me that exaggerating a child's excellence in an effort to please parents is SO NOT done here. Basically, the rule of thumb is if you DON'T hear from the Rebbe, you can feel confidant that there aren't any real problems. Grandparents, you can feel free to kvell- and invest in the college fund. Now you can pick yourselves up off the floor- I'm joking. For real. Seriously, you ARE more than welcome to invest in the apartment fund.
Back to the eye doctor.............
I figured that since the kid is in first grade, it would be an opportune time to get his eyes checked.
The doctor asked me if YZ knew his numbers.
I answered in the affirmative.
He projected a row of numbers onto the opposite wall and asked YZ to identify them.
Nothing.
Next row- numbers a bit bigger.
Still nothing.
At this point the doctor turned to me, "Are you SURE he knows his numbers?"
Next row- numbers a little larger.
YZ: "dot, dot, dot, dot, dot, dot" (And he's got personality!)
Next row- (you get the picture)
YZ: "9, 5, 3, 6, 7" (Some weren't even accurate!)
In short, YZ got glasses- much to everyone's chagrin. I'm frustrated because I envision this becoming an extra expense - I dunno, say, once every 3-6 months or so. YZ is apprehensive because he's worried about being called 'mishkafofer' (that would be the Hebrew equivalent of four eyes).
Either way, thems the doctors orders so we'll all have to deal.
We picked up the glasses last night and thankfully, now that he has them, he's quite fond of them. He takes them off every 3 minutes to clean them and even asked Aryeh Leib if he recognizes him without his glasses.
Aren't kids fantastically resilient!?!


Glasses for YZ

Gmar Chatima Tova to all!

No comments: